Thursday, September 6, 2007

Thankful Thursday

Here is day four's topic in the battle to beat the stay-at-home momdrums. (Click Here for a list of topics). For more information on how you can join the blog battle click here.

Day Four: Thankful Thursday. Another twist on the Ten Toes Tuesday. When you're down you're supposed to count your blessings so I'm encouraging you to do it on your blog. Let's see how long we can make these lists!

"Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your blessing see what God has done. Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your many blessings see what God has done."

Thankful Thursday
1. I am alive. Ten years ago I struggled with suicidal impulses and on at least three separate occasions was saved from following through at the last second. I battled depression and didn't see much hope for the future...Oh that there had been a window for that little girl to see herself today.
2. I have fantastic friends. From age 10 til today I have had one friend who has stuck by me like a sister. She has been my "Bosom Buddy" through thick and thin. Also, around the time I met my husband I met his best friend and his best friends wife....today I have claimed his best friends wife as MY best friend. She is someone with whom I can always share my heart. And now we're both raising little girls together! There are others as well. In fact I could probably list at least five close friends without thinking twice.
3. I have found my Prince Charming. Two months before I first met my husband I came out of a difficult relationship. The night I ended it with that boyfriend I remember driving out to watch the sunset in a near by field and crying to God. I felt spent and scared. All I asked was for God to surprise me with joy. Not necessarily a boyfriend...just joy in my life. Two months later I met the man who can always make me laugh.
4. I have danced most of my dreams. I haven't seen the complete success of all of my dreams but I have experienced at least a short song of each. For example: I once dreamed of having my own radio talk show. I haven't had a talk show...but I have been a DJ. I once dreamed of being a dancer. I am not a dancer...but I have taken some dance. I dreamed of teaching. I am not a teacher but I have c0-taught High School theater for a semester. I dreamed of being a writer. I have not published a book, but I have published poetry. I once dreamed of being an actress. I haven't hit the big screen or even a big stage...but I have toured and taught theater.
So it may not be complete success...yet. But it is still sweet.
5. I have a lovely home. It is fairly big, at least for a family of three and brick (which I always wanted). We have a nice fenced in yard, a pretty nursery, a large master bedroom, and a good sized kitchen. There is a lot we want to do to it yet...but really what more could I want right now?
6. I have a beautiful baby girl. She is laughter and warmth and happiness personified. She is completely not what I expected, and completely perfect. She is a miracle in the making.
7. I have Christ. "In Christ I am a new creation. The old has gone, the new has come." 2 Corinthians 5:17 I know without a shadow of a doubt that I wouldn't be here today without Him. Thank you Jesus.
8. I have two working, paid for cars. Small thing really. They're not shiny or new or even very nice but they run and I am thankful for that.
9. I have a good relationship with my family. My parents and I used to fight FURIOUSLY. We still disagree but I could and do discuss everything with them now. I also am thankful for my brother who himself was a miracle.
10. We have our health. I've battled with my health for a lot of my life but over all when I look at the diseases and disasters out there...mine have been minuscule by comparison. Also, after all the worry while I was pregnant my daughter shows no signs of any serious health complications.
11. We live in a free Country. We are safe, free, and don't worry about food. This is a huge blessing.

As I write this I realize I could go on and on. But now it's your turn. Share your blessings. I would love to hear them. Plus, don't forget to check back tomorrow for Fabulous Friday and join in the fun!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea for beating the stay-at-home-blues. I hope to remember this plan when it's my turn to stay home with our baby.
-Danelle

Maggie said...

What a beautiful list! It's so wonderful to hear about those things in life that people really cherish and are thankful for.

Anonymous said...

Can I join in if I'm a WAHM?

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the reminder to be thankful for all the beautiful things, both big and small, in my life.