Thursday, March 19, 2009

Angels Anonymous

Somewhere out there is a special someone who deserves the seat of honour at Angels Anonymous.
As those of you who read my rants regularly are aware, times have been a bit tough lately. I so often feel overwhelmed, overtired, and just plain over my limit. After sharing my struggles with some friends and family as well as my amazing church I have felt a bit better this past week but although emotionally I have felt some comfort, circumstances have not changed. However, I have been in awe how God has shown me several times this week that he offers me his grace when I cannot get by on my own. There has been warm sunshine, a friend to keep me company on a lonely evening, and a call from a public health nurse in our new neighbourhood offering support and some ideas for coping in the coming months. But today I was blessed even beyond all of that.
I awoke after another very interrupted night (I have not been sleeping well with baby bouncing on my bladder and just being this gigantic lump in general) and although I was excited by the prospect of going home today for a Youth Drop-In meeting and a few days with family I also found my hormones were on high alert and I simply couldn't shake the slump I felt. Despite trying to see the positive points of my day (and night, Little Lady woke up only once to pee, made it to the potty, and stayed dry all night!) I found my head full of worries anyway.
Then as I was preparing Little Lady's lunch I heard the post man at my mailbox. Although the only mail we usually get are bills or addressed to previous tenants I decided to check anyway. There in the mailbox was God's hug for me today. In the form of an anonymous letter from an anonymous angel were two gift certificates, one for Starbucks and one for Safeway along with the following verses, John 14 and Proverbs 3:5-6. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight."
Whoever you are I want you to know that today you were God with skin on to someone. Today you brought a bunch of sunshine into my life and it was like God said to me, "I am here. I care. Here is your grace to get through another day." You have been a great blessing. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and I hope that someday you are repaid for your generous gift!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a neat story! I love your writings..keep it up! It was good seeing you on Sunday.
Mary

Stephanie said...

What a cool story! And a great reminder to me to think about others' needs and then do something special like that...

Thanks.