Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Tired eyes and hidden treasures

This was supposed to be a fun week. We were supposed to bake delicious apple desserts every day (because we just received a HUGE box from a BC orchard), get lots done, and have tons of creative fall fun. It was supposed to be full of fantastic memory making moments instead of the usual ebb and flow of momotonous daily life. I was also supposed to get every evening this week off so I could catch up on my scrapbooking.
I have baked every day and I have accomplished some stuff but Little Lady has been teething (at least I'm pretty sure that's the problem) and it's made for long drawn out bedtimes and tiring, no nap days. Her clingy-ness has also meant I've spent the evenings being a mom since she won't relax as well for daddy. Not the magical moments that make motherhood so worthwhile. I was feeling especially frustrated this morning as I've spent the day holding her on my lap while she intermittently cries and clutches her mouth. She's hardly let me put her down without a heart breaking whimper and after three rather rough nights in a row my eyes feel weighted with lead. Of course there have been happy moments but they've felt few and far between compared to her usual clowny and cute ways.
But then I realized that these ARE magical moments. Her head on my shoulder, her sitting sweetly on my lap and drawing for almost an hour. (She LOVES to draw, her favourite toy is a pen and a pad of paper). These are the treasures of motherhood. The cuddles and the closeness.

5 comments:

jodifur said...

I remember those days.

I hate to give assvice, but have you tried the baby bjorn? It let me hold Michael and get stuff done, just a thought.

Damselfly said...

Aw, I totally sympathize with those no-nap days. Teething is so hard. On everybody! I'm glad you can think about this in a positive light.

Amanda said...

Good for you. It's hard, but if you can see the magic, it's wonderful. Good luck. We have molars coming in in our house, so if it helps,know that someone else is up,tired and annoyed,and then gasping with the wonder of being needed and wanted in this way.

Anonymous said...

Finn is going through the 12 year molar hell too. No naps. Up twice in the night. And I have not baked! You go girl.

Stephanie said...

I haven't seen you around the blogosphere lately. How are you and Little Lady doing?